Whether your goals are related to losing inches or eating to maintain a healthy body, the habit of eating slowly is a perfect start to your nutrition focused journey.
Most of us eat way too quickly. Furthermore, we expect to eat until the point of fullness. However, it takes about 20 minutes for gut, brain, gut communication to be complete. Which means, we don’t know we are full for 20 minutes! If we eat too quickly and haven’t received the “YOU ARE FULL” message yet, we are likely eating way too much food.
As you may have noticed, this healthy eating tip does not address WHAT you are eating. Instead, it has to do with HOW you eat. Here are a couple more simple tips to help with body fat loss and optimal health while focusing on HOW we eat:
- Slow down. Take at least 15-20 minutes to complete your meal.
- Have a seat during a meal.
- Turn off the TV while eating.
- Take smaller bites.
- Chew the food completely and pay attention to tasting it.
Ready to make a change?
Here’s your homework:
- Select one goal from above each week for the next 5 weeks.
- Define what success will look like. For example, Monday through Friday I will sit down during my meal for two meals per day.
- Make the goal realistic based on your daily responsibilities.
- Then strive for reaching your goal. Each week, work towards a different goal.
I’d love to hear about your successes and challenges! Please feel free to email me at Sarah@fitcitycrossfit.com.